Monday, August 25, 2014

Our Bridging the Gap

Bridging the Gap is a program that helps high school students pursuit their interest in careers related to zoology, marine science, ecology or even biology. Students are selected in 3 cohorts of 50 students each, and can participate at the Bronx Zoo, Central Park Zoo, Prospect Park Zoo, Queens Zoo, and New York Aquarium. If a student were to get selected he/she are to commit to all 4 phases of the programs. Phase 1 is completing 11 sessions conducting animal behavior, zoo designing and meeting the staff. Phase 2 is mentoring the students on college and job preparations. Phase 3 is basically boot camp, let the name fool you because its 2days back to back preparing for college interviews, course selections, applications and financial aid. In Phase 4 the students get a hands-on work experience.
I know this sounds like a lot of time or a lot to go through but speaking from experience, I am currently in Phase 4, it's  unlike other students I took two types of internships. My first experience was in toddler camp where I got to see different parenting techniques from different ethnicity and I also got the feel of being somewhat of a teacher by observing/helping the layout of the entire day. My second experience was related to social media and coding. The coding was meant to educate me on creating my own website and the social media is actually what you are reading right now. I can say that once you meet all the amazing people, or see what Bridging the Gap has to offer it's going to be worth it.

--V.V.

No comments:

Post a Comment