Tuesday, August 26, 2014

BTG Interview with Mario Giampieri

Today as  I entered the translucent building that hides within the Bronx Zoo, I met Mario Giampieri. Mario is a GIS analyst of the Welikia Project founded by his very own professor/mentor Eric W. Sanderson. I was lucky enough to have him clear out his schedule for an interview considering how busy his days can be. The creators of the Welikia project (welikia.org)created a software, called Mannahatta2409 , which is characterized by pre-colonial Manhattan. It gives you the power to reconstruct the ecosystem and biodiversity of Manhattan island according to current, past and theoretical maps of the future. The options range from 400years prior to the program launching, 1609 when the Europeans came upon Mannahatta (as it was called then), to 400 yrs after (which as he explained is where 2409 comes from).
Mario gave me great advice on college preparations. He told me that as he started NYU he was pursuing another major for about 2 and half years until he realized that it wasn't for him. So he switched to Environmentalism with a focus on urban planning social injustice.
As I was speaking to Mario he gave me kind of a feel of his work environment. He told me he has other co-workers who also help with their website https://mannahatta2409.org/ . As they are working they are mostly divided by boroughs and different places outside the country. Even though they all research different fields, they share their findings with one another. Also he explained that they receive several projects at a time, so each day there is plenty to do. He explained the worst part of the day is being the administrator, as in replying to emails or other forms of paperwork.
Like I have successfully failed, Mario is also learning how to code and create his own website. He also recommended I use Edx.com where he finds it much simpler to understand due to the well-made video tutorials.
Now that I have spoken to Mario Giampieri, I have a more of a realistic view on what to expect when I take my SAT's and ACT's. He described his experience taking his first SAT's as not being in the state of mind needed to focus, so he simply took it again and assured me that there is always a second chance.

Map of 1782 found in "Mannahatta" by Eric W. Sanderson
Mario Giampieri
 

No comments:

Post a Comment